Monday, February 23, 2009

So Little, So Much

On Wednesday, on the red-eye, I will be on my way back home...

I've done so little. Part of me is truly surprised at how little I did the past 5 months. Some of the things I'm disappointed about?
  • I didn't sunbathe nude (or at least topless) at Little Beach.
  • I didn't become that "intermediate" surfer.
  • I didn't try stand up paddling.

I've done so much. But I am proud of the new things I did do.

  • I saw the sunrise in Hana.
  • I did yoga on the beach - regularly.
  • I learned to surf.
  • I can get by in Spanish.

I've learned so little. Still, after this life changing event, I am still the same person, with all my foibles.

  • I still get stressed and yell at my kids.
  • I'm still a little scared to try new things.
  • I still expect too little from people.

I've learned so much. But more than anything, this trip has given me the opportunity to learn things about myself that I never would have in my "normal" life.

  • I always cry when my children sing.
  • I can live with surprisingly little, but still want a lot.
  • I really miss my family and friends.
  • After 9 years I'm still in love with Neil.

And thus ends this trip and this blog. Knowing people were reading kept me writing - and I thank you for sharing in this part of my life with me. Adios, mahalo and aloha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
onegiantstep said...

Hmmm...interesting spam comment.

Anyway...WOW, the time has flown by - although we probably don't have to say that to you! I can't imagine what you're feeling as the time to come home closes in - but I imagine you are happy and proud of yourselves for having done it.

You say this is your last post, and we have refrained from asking, but you have not indicated what you and Neil will be up to once you return. Your journey is not yet over - I'd be interested in hearing more.

Good luck,
Love Gillian and Jason